Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Helsinki City Run

So last Saturday was the day I had been waiting for all year; my first Helsinki City Run half marathon. For the past month I hadn't done any running at all because of my leg so I was a bit nervous about how I was gonna do. I had all my gear well prepared the day before and got a good night's sleep too. I had a proper breakfast with some oatmeal with tons of protein and some fruit. A few hours before the race I just had a light snack, some yogurt and a training bar with lots of carbs and of course some more water.

I got to the area where the race was held about half an hour before to avoid bathroom lines and to warm up a bit and walk to the starting area. I prepared my phone for my music playlist and the workout app to measure my time and distance. I hear the countdown. 5,4,3,2,1 and it's go time. For the first few minutes you couldn't even run cause there were so many people. But rather soon I found a good pace for me and my music was pushing me on. The first 5k were familiar as I run that route a lot. Before that was done the first fuel stop was coming up, there were three more after that. I tried to grab both some energy drink and water on all stops where they had them. 

Running felt easy and the hills didn't stop me. There were quite a few people walking before we had hit 10k already. Since I hurt my leg my target became to pass the race and pass it running all the way. And I did that and I'm so happy. By the time I hit 17km it's started to feel a bit rough and I started mentoring myself saying only 5k left, I can do this. I also had some relatives on the way cheering for me and that felt good. I almost cried out of joy when I got down the last hill and turned to the stadium, hearing the host from the loud speaker. I was thinking this is the final stretch and then I'm done. I speeded up and once I hit the finish line I just through my hands up in the air and smiled. On the way it had felt good to run and stopping would've been bad so when I suddenly had to stop it felt weird. I got my medal and moved on to stretch a bit. Walking up the few stairs had never felt worse. I grabbed some of the recovery snacks and then my family took me home. It was nice seeing them support me on this. At home I felt so hungry but when I ate I got this sick feeling like I can't eat anymore. But I guess that's normal after something so demanding as this.

It's been a few days now but one of my calves is still hurting a bit, guess I should stretch more. My throat is also a bit sore and I hope I'm not catching a flu because of this. But was it worth all the pain? Absolutely yes and I would totally do HCR again and I'm already planning my next half marathon (maybe)! :D

Viime lauantaina oli siis päivä jota olin odottanut koko vuoden; Helsinki City Run-puolimaratoni. Minua jännitti hieman sillä en ollut juossut kuukauteen jalan takia. Kaikki varusteet oli asetellut esille jo edellisenä iltana ja nukkunut myös kunnon yöunet. Söin kunnon aamiaisen, proteiinipuuroa ja hedelmiä. Muutama tunti ennen kisaa oli kannattavaa syödä vain kevyt välipala, jogurttia ja hiilaripitoinen treenipatukka, sekä tietysti vettä. 

Saavuin kilpailualueelle noin puoli tuntia ennen lähtöäni välttääkseni vessajonot ja jotta saisin rauhassa lämmitellä ja kävellä lähtöalueelle. Valmistelin Spotify-listan puhelimessa ja SportTrackerin mittaamaan ikaa ja matkaa. Lähtölaskenta alkoi. 5,4,3,2,1 ja matkaan. Ensimmäiset minuutit taittuivat kävellen ihmismassan takia. Melko pian pääsin kyllä omaan rytmiini ja musiikki kannusti eteenpäin. Ensimmäiset 5km olivat tuttuja sillä juoksen siellä usein muutenkin. Ennen kuin siitä päästiin jatkamaan olikin jo ensimmäisen tankkauksen aika. Sen jälkeen niitä oli vielä kolme. Yritin juoda sekä energiajuomaa että vettä aina kun mahdollista.

Juokseminen tuntui helpolta eivätkä edes mäet pysäyttäneet minua. Moni oli jo vaihtanut kävelyaskeliin ennen ensimmäistä kymppiä. Loukattuani jalkani asetin tavoitteekseni läpipääsyn ja koko matkan juosten. Pääsin tavoitteeseeni ja olen siitä todella iloinen. Päästyäni 17km kohdalle alkoi jo jaloissa hieman tuntumaan ja aloin psyykkaamaan itseäni että vielä 5km jäljellä, kyllä minä pystyn tähän. Myös sukulaisten kannustukset reitin varrella tsemppasivat eteenpäin. Olin itkeä ilosta kun pääsin viimeisen mäen alas ja olin kääntymässä stadionille ja kuulin kuulutukset kaiuttimista. Ajattelin että tässä on se loppurutistus ja sitten se on ohi. Pinkaisin vauhtiin ja ohitettuani maaliviivan heitin käteni ilmaan ja hymyilin. Juoksu tuntui hyvältä ja pysähtyminen olisi tehnyt kipeää mutta maalin jälkeen pysähtyminen oli outoa. Sain mitalini ja siirryin venyttelemään. Muutaman rappusenkin kävely tuntui rankemmalta kuin koskaan. Nappasin mukaani eväitä joita kilpailijoille jaettiin jonka jälkeen perheeni vei minut kotiin. Oli ihanaa kun he kannustivat minua tähän. Kotona minulla oli sudennälkä mutta hieman syötyäni alkoi jo tuntua oksettavalta. Mutta se kai on normaali reaktio tällaisen suorituksen jälkeen. 

Kisasta on kulunut nyt muutama päivä mutta toinen pohkeeni on edelleen hieman kipeä joten pitäisi kai venytellä enemmän. Myös kurkkuni tuntuu hieman aralta ja toivon etten saa tästä flunssaa. Mutta oliko se kaiken kivun arvoista? Todellakin oli ja voi olla että HCR:stä tulee jokakeväinen perinne. Vähän tässä jo suunnittelen seuraavaa puolikasta. :D

Ready to go

Let's run


I did it! :D



4 comments :

  1. Hi mate! I was there too! Very Very tough race i have to say!! I knew it was a hilly course but I didn't expect it to be so much! My final time was 1h:36':24'', not my best one but the track was very challenging! Greetings from Italy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you've had an excellent time I don't know if I could do it that fast! :) It was my first time but I actually thought it felt kinda easy. Definitely will become a tradition for me. :)

      Delete
  2. I really had a good time in Helsinki... I found nice people and a friendly atmosphere.... I will defintely come back soon! ;) Once you've experienced how it feels to run a race then you can't get enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good. Helsinki is a lovely city! :) I've done smaller races before but first time on this one now.

      Delete