Tuesday, April 9, 2013

10K run and hockey news

Well, I finally did it! 10 kilometers here in Nice! I am so proud of myself it's been a while since I've done that because of the long breaks in Finland cause of the long winter. Thanks Helen for pushing me! ;) When I went out it looked like it was gonna rain but then the sun came out eventually and I felt too hot. When I reached the Port I was so glad cause of the shade there and it made me run faster cause the air wasn't so hard to breath. It must've been the tough weekend and lack of sleep but the last few minutes before I reached Negresco felt like the toughest ever. But now I can say I did it and hopefully get a little better time next time.


In other sports news those of you who are interested in SM-liiga (The Finnish Hockey League) it's just been solved that the two teams in the final games are going to be Porin Ässät and Tampereen Tappara. Ässät has won the Finnish League title only twice, lastly in 1978 while Tappara has been more succesful (15 times) reaching their last win in 2003. I'm sure it will be interesting final games.

If anyone knows where to watch the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championships this May let me know. The games are hosted together by Finland and Sweden like last year, only this year Sweden is the main host and therefore the final games are played in Stockholm. I take hockey seriously and especially the world championships, even if all you Canadian friends of mine think it's not a big deal. I was actually volunteering at the games last year together with about 900 other people. It was so nice not only cause we got to see the games and watch the Finnish Lion team play ball right outside our office where I worked, but to actually see how many people and how much time and effort it takes to put together an event like that. Some of the things I will definitely remember is when a few lucky ones of us got to unpack the players' jerseys, so when I was watching the games it felt nice to say that hey I've actually touched all those Finnish (and Canadian mainly) players' jerseys. :P Another memorable thing that happened only days before the final games was when we were supposed to check and count all the championship medals. I would've probably gone there again this year if I wasn't in Nice right now. I have some photos from my weeks there. I miss all you guys and I hope you have fun this year! :)

My family was also invited to watch the game Finland-France from a box by the company Hartwall. We had dinner and drinks and enjoyed the game, the whole family together. :) It was a memorable evening.



#26 Immonen #64 Granlund combo


Team Finland's bus

The Lion captain #9 Mikko Koivu stretching before the guys played ball.
He is also the current captain of the Minnesota Wild ;) where #64 Mikael Granlund and #32 Niklas Bäckström are also playing.

Enjoying some drinks before the game at the box



Finland playing France. The game me and my family watched from the box. Final score 7-1 for Finland.

All four siblings together





Hockey Bird mascot

Work at the office

Where all the players' interviews took place during the games



No comments :

Post a Comment